Thursday 12 June 2008

Menetou-Salon - This Is at Least a Holiday Romance

As your occasional wine correspondent, I follow up my epoch-making posts on Carmenere and Chardonnay by bringing to your attention a splendid white wine (Sauvignon blanc-based) of the Loire Valley - Menetou-Salon. I bought a bottle yesterday on a rare and shaming visit to a branch of Britain's worst supermarket, Morrisons. Most of what they sell is not worth buying, but I was amazed to discover some quite interesting, keenly priced bottles on their wine shelves. And there was Menetou-Salon, winking seductively at me, so I grabbed a bottle. Reader, I did not regret it. This is a cracking white, with the familiar gooseberry and citrus of Sauvignong Blanc, but with a mineral tang and, in my bottle, a note of something like black pepper. A lovely mouthful - and for half the price of the inflated Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume.
As it happens, I shall be in Dieppe next week, where the Loire Valley is prominent on every wine list, so I look forward to pursuing my researches there. Mmmm Menetou-Salon...

7 comments:

  1. Yes, amen to that, Nige. It's the next-door appellation to Sancerre and the wines are often strikingly good. However, I would also caution you that it seems to be a lot more hit-and-miss than its more expensive neighbours. We get ours from Yapp Brothers in Mere http://www.yapp.co.uk/ and we haven't had a dud yet. In fact, anybody who likes Rhone and Loire wines should head for Yapp. I can't fault them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, Sophie - seems I was doubly lucky to find a good bottle in such an unlikely place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nige, can I come with you? Judy says it would be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a load of that left over from my booze cruise. Pity I'm not drinking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how those keenly priced numbers have that ever so subtle edge to them that the more expense tend to lack...thanks for the post Nige. Frank in Philly put me on to you. Mentioned soulmates or some such.

    another Nige.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, what shall you do in Dieppe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Dieppe, Susan, je flane, je mange, je bois.
    Welcome, fellow Nige - you're right about the price effect, that's for sure.
    Bryan - I'll take that off your hands.
    Richard - see you under the clock at St Pancras...

    ReplyDelete