Wednesday 7 January 2015

A New Use for Isms

'Colombia for Magical Realism.'
 How's that for a sales pitch? Really makes you think, Mmm must go to Colombia and get me some of that Magical Realism...
 I spotted this unlikely legend on a poster over the stairs that descend into Victoria Underground station. I think it's the only case I've known of trying to sell a country on the basis of a literary/artistic Ism (though, come to think, Belgium for Surrealism might work, being merely descriptive). But I guess when your only alternative is 'Colombia for Cocaine', you might get a tad desperate.
 Talking of surrealism, this poster is on exactly the same site as the legendary 'Chichester - the New Copenhagen'.  

2 comments:

  1. I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember the banners in Huddersfield calling it the Paris of the North? Hudds has many of it's own charms but the Paris comparison was a bit inexplicable!

    ReplyDelete